Deadline has been extended until January 15!
Issue #15 of AREA Chicago will focus on how community-based practices are redefining our understanding of healing and care. We consider this topic broadly: from exploring experiences of oppression and resistance, to understanding generational trauma and systemic harms, to rethinking our understandings of violence, health, self-defense, restitution and resiliency. We invite contributions with a Chicago focus and with a commitment to learning from grassroots practices and non-dominant perspectives.
Topics might include:
– exploring structural factors that create dependencies on market models of health care — such as the privatization of land, medicines and traditional knowledges;
– the intersections of health care access, racial and economic justice
– decarceration and de-institutionalization from a disability rights perspective
– movement-based understandings of trauma, violence and harm reduction
– transformative justice, healing justice and community self-care
– reproductive rights and reproductive labor
– alternatives to the “humanitarian” framework for harm reduction
– stigmatizing and pathologizing poverty
– food systems and food sovereignty organizing; city to region relationships and interdependencies;
– interspecies perspectives; the health of soil and water, microbial communities;
– ecology and climate catastrophe; energy descent;
… and many others!
We accept submissions in the form of small essays, interviews, transcripts from community events, report-backs, creative writing and visual/media works. Please send us your ideas and proposals!
Deadline for proposals is December 30, 2014. To submit a proposal please click here
You can also contact us to discuss your ideas! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org